Monday, August 10, 2009

Egg-citement in the kitchen

Dinner 100809
Egg curry, spicy green beans, and parantha.

My husband made the egg curry last night, and it was gob-smacking delicious! He used to find it amusing that such a dish existed, but it has soon become one of his favorite things to eat. So when we moved to India, he decided he wanted to perfect the recipe. He got the recipe from my uncle (who happens to be an excellent cook), and that's what we had last night for dinner.

I have stayed away from taking photos of our dinners, because of the low light and my inclination to not use the flash. Do you have any tips about taking photos in artificial, low light conditions?

2 comments:

  1. Oh wow! This looks so delicious! I always thought the notion of egg curry was a bit odd (I first saw it on a TV show years ago) but I've always wanted to try it.

    I too hate using flash and avoid it unless absolutely necessary. I don't know what kind of camera you have or how much you can fiddle around with the options. Adjusting the ISO, the aperture and shutter speed all make a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Low light and food do not mix, there is no way around it really. Professional food photographers use all sorts of fancy lighting to make the stuff look appealing. (and they often use fake food as well)

    But, failing that....

    You can try and soften the light from your flash by placing a white business card in front of the flash. This will take a lot of flash power, so you'll probably have better results using a high ISO like 800.

    ReplyDelete