Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Steve Alan knock off

Steven Alan knock off

One of the last sewing projects I finished before we left India was a skirt. I wanted to make a cute, high-waisted skirt, and Steven Alan's ikat Ella Skirt proved to be good inspiration. I used my usual pattern drafting sources, and came up with a very basic pattern - waist band for the back and front, plus a couple of carefully measured rectangles for the skirt body.

Trial and error

The pockets turned out to be the most challenging part! I didn't know how to make kangaroo pockets, so I had to wing it three times with an old curtain before I was satisfied.

Steven Alan knock off

The fabric is a 100-percent hand loom cotton ikat, similar in colour as the Ella Skirt.

Steven Alan knock off

I painstakingly finished the raw edges with bias tape that I made, and hand hemmed the fully lined skirt. It took a while to finish but it made for a very neatly finished skirt.

Steven Alan knock off

I finally got to wear it a weekend ago, when the sun was shining, and all of Paris came out to enjoy the fine weather. I like the gathers between the pockets, the pockets work, and it is very comfortable to wear. All in all, a success!

4 comments:

  1. that looks awesome! I love how you paired it with black tights and flats.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks very professional. Nice and neat. Looking forward to reading about more of your projects.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh I love this skirt! It looks so neat and professional! Beautiful color too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, it looks so nice!
    How did you made the pattern? I'm really interested in which sources you use. :)

    ReplyDelete